UN AIDS Internatioinal Ambassador Annie Lennox and Alicia Keys spoke at the panal “HIV Priorities for Positive Change – In Womans Words” during the UN conference on AIDS at the United Nations on June 7, 2011 in New York City.
- In 1997, 41 percent of adults living with HIV were women. This increased to 49 percent in 2001 and now stands at 52 percent.
- In low- and middle-income countries, HIV is a leading cause of death among women of reproductive age.
- 74 percent of young men know that condoms are effective in preventing HIV infection, compared to just 49 percent of young women.
- Globally, 26 percent of all new infections are among young women 15–24 years of age — and most do not know their status.
- Young women make up more than 60 percent of all young people living with HIV. In sub-Saharan Africa, the number is a staggering 72 percent.
Get Alicia’s business look below a pinstriped dress suit and roller set for soft curls and soft pink make up palette . For more information on “HIV Priorities for Positive Change – In Womans Words” head over to UN Women.
Image credit Jemal Countess – Getty Images